Our friends at VegasTripping announced the 2013 Trippies nominations today. We are truly honored and humbled by the number of categories in which you nominated us:
- Best Las Vegas Podcast: Five Hundy by Midnight (eligible again this year after last year’s Hall of Fame induction).
- Best Tweeters: @anitamartini and @fivehundy. Wow. We didn’t expect to be included in this category.
- Best Las Vegas Website: FremontStreetBars.com. Have you heard of it? I may have mentioned it on the podcast once or twice.
- Best Community: The Five Hundy Facebook Group. This one is all about you guys and the great vibe you’ve created. Whether or not you vote for us in any other categories, this one means the most to us because it’s all about you. So vote for yourself.
Thank you for the nominations and congratulations to the other nominees. Voting is open now through Dec. 11.
Here’s a short bonus podcast where we shill for votes and thank all the beautiful people…
Direct download of the podcast: Five Hundy By Midnight 12/4/12 21:01 min, 21.9 MB) or subscribe.
We’ll see you at the Indigo Lounge at Bally’s on Oct. 13.
On this week’s show, we announced our Las Vegas poetry contest. Here are the rules and guidelines:
- Write an original poem about Las Vegas. Any type of poetry is welcome. Haiku, iambic pentameter, sonnet, whatever. Make it rhyme or don’t.
- Keep it short. You should be able to read it in less than a minute.
- Be creative. Amuse and entertain us.
- Bonus points for mentioning Viator, Five Hundy by Midnight and/or familiar Five Hundy references.
- One entry per person.
- To submit your poem, recite it on our voice mail line (702-866-9494); record it to an audio file and e-mail it to us at firstname.lastname@example.org; or e-mail us the written text.
- If calling, include your name and e-mail address. Don’t worry. I won’t play your e-mail address on the show.
- If e-mailing, the subject line needs to be “Poetry Contest.”
- All poems need to be submitted by 3 p.m. CST on Friday, Feb. 3.
- We will choose our favorites. It’s entirely subjective and it’s entirely up to us. Finalists will be read/played on the Feb. 5 podcast.
- First and second place winners will be announced on the Feb. 12 podcast.
- The first place winner will receive a $100 Viator gift certificate. Thanks, Viator!
- The second place winner will receive a $50 Amazon gift certificate.
We’ve known for years how much Five Hundy listeners rock, but now it’s official. Our beloved Facebook group has received the 2012 Trippies Award for Best Community. Congratulations to the 1,200 listeners who use the group as a place to ask and answer questions and chat about their favorite city.
We would like to extend a special thank-you to Pete and Ellen, who started the group several years ago, and to the VegasTripping crew for their work on the Trippies and all-around general fantasticalness.
With the podcast now retired into the Trippies Hall of Fame, this is icing on the sweet, sweet Vegasy cake.
Congratulations to all of the Trippies winners, especially our friends at the Vegas Gang Podcast and, of course, our frequent sponsor, Vegas Mate (it’s really great).
We plan to provide our annual Trippies analysis on next weekend’s podcast.